1. Does the cutlery turn soggy when used in foods that are extremely cold or extremely hot?
No, it does not, but it will, if you leave it in such liquids for more than 10 minutes, in portion dipped only.
2. What is the shelf life of this cutlery? / Once the package is opened how long does the cutlery stay without softening?
The shelf life is 18 months for best crispy taste, but if it is not opened from shrink wrap it can last even 24 months. It can lose crispiness if packet is opened and spoons left in open. They can still be edible. Since this is made with flours it can be contaminated by frequent touching and in open atmosphere. Do not refrigerate. Do not store near other grains and food stuff that is prone to decompose fast.
3. Can it cut into meat & other hard food substances?
Yes it can, provided you make sure you don’t push it very hard like you do with stainless steel spoons. After all these are made of flours! If it breaks it will be at handle so it still can be used.
4. Can the cutlery be used more than once for dry foods?
As long as the spoon is not put in the mouth, it can be used any number of times for dry foods, It should preferably be used only once. It can also be used as regular spoon in dry items like- salt, spices powders, dry chutney powders, tea, coffee, sugar, malt powders but not in oil based Indian pickles. It absorbs moisture and keeps all such powders dry. Do not eat them if kept in any such ingredients.
5. Are there any coatings on the cutlery for finishing purpose?
No, nothing is used for coating as it can only attract germs and greasiness when touched by your fingers. They are dry.Once these are opened you can dip them in chocolate sauce, any other sauces and spray flavours like strawberry, pineapple, rose, vanilla as per your own choice. We do not add flavours during baking as it does not leave any smell after baking.
6. Where can the edible cutlery be purchased? Can it be ordered online? If yes, once the order is placed within how many days will I receive the product?
For now you can order directly from us. Our sales terms are at ex-factory prices. Transportation arrangements are made for within India. Our ex-factory delivery period will be within 25-30 days (the actual delivery to the customer depends on distance, transport service provider and time for clearances and statutory formalities at the point of destination.
The price quoted on Order pages are valid only for within India and includes transport + taxes.
The website is sometimes suspended if the orders are too many and we have big backlogs. In such cases one needs to wait to place order.
Write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org for bulk quantities ranging from 3000 spoons to 20000 spoons. The delivery depends upon your location, logistics and costs that you will have to pay for transport including taxes. Such bulk orders may need more than 3 month to be delivered.
7. Shouldn’t people be encouraged to reuse / or use metal cutlery, rather than replace one disposable product for another?
We neither discourage reuse or use of metal cutlery nor are we trying to compete against them. Our products are meant to be replacement for plastic disposable cutlery & bamboo disposable chopsticks / Cutlery.
8. How long does it take for the cutlery to decompose?
It will naturally decompose anywhere between 3 to7 days if insects, dogs, cows, goats, birds do not eat it. If you pour water on it and leave it in soil/ pots it decomposes faster. You can even put them in your compost pits safely.
9. In what packs are they available?
Present packs are of sets of 100 spoons. The packing is now in a chemical free paper pouches with 2 spoons per pouch and finally in a cardboard box.
10. Will using vegetables to give color to the cutlery change its taste as well?
Yes, it will acquire the taste of the ingredients added both for colour and flavor and would suit eating savory or rice based food. Bland taste suits best for sweet items, ice creams and cakes. We can add essence of vanilla, strawberry, cardamom, rose if customers ask for it and not otherwise.The vegetable pulp based or customized order based spoons will cost more.
11. Are they available in different flavors also?
Yes, they can be made with pulp mix of carrot, beetroot, spinach and other spices. These are value added items and will cost higher.
Presently we are offering-
1. Plain (with sorghum (Jowar)+rice+wheat).
2. Sweet (with added little sugar).
3. Savoury (with cumin seeds, rock salt, carom seeds (Ajwain) and black pepper.
If one needs a particular combination ex- only cumin + rock salt it can be ordered thus.
12. They look like wood and I am uncomfortable putting it in my mouth?
It is a baked product hence it will be in shades of brown. They are hard and crunchy as we do not add any fat, oil, butter, so you will not get any smell from our cutlery unless we add some essence.
13. Any side effects on health from consuming these regularly?
NO, they will not cause any ill effects if you use them regularly. On the contrary, the micro nutritional intake will improve. However, if you keep them in open under humid conditions, they will get soft and there will be microbial contamination. Hence, these should be stored in dry air tight containers.No user has ever complained about our spoons doing any harm to their health so far.
14. Are they good for diabetics and BP patients?
Sure, we do not add much of any ingredients to cause any damage to Health. In fact they are approved to be consumed by hospitalized patients with BP, diabetes. Sorghum (Jowar) is highly nutritious and filling millet and is idea for pregnant women, teething children, growing up children, women with low hemoglobin and anybody with osteoporosis, arthritis.
15. Are the spoons gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, GMO free, fair trade?
1. They are not gluten free as we do add some wheat flour but we can customize for specific clients who need it gluten free by adding corn or barley in place of wheat.
2. Yes it is vegan as we add no fat.
3. It is 100% vegetarian.
4. We cannot promise it as GMO free as the rice and wheat used by us may not be free from GMO/ fertilizers/ pesticides used by farmers but Sorghum is free of all chemicals, GMO and pesticides and sorghum dominates the ingredient mix. We aim to make it totally organic even if it may cost a little more for customers.
5. It is close to fair trade as we do not employ child labour and employ 90% underprivileged women as work force and pay them as per minimum wage. We do aim for total Fair trade as we progress.
16. Why are they so hard on teeth to bite?
These are spoons/ cutlery that one has to use as cutlery and thus must serve its basic purpose. If they break while using, it will not be cutlery but biscuits.
17. Can it be used as teeters for babies?
Yes it is ideal for babies who keep chewing anything that they reach out to. Instead a spoon will give them sufficient saliva, nutrition and protect them from plastic chewy habits and toxins thereof. Since this spoon stem is hard it can be held firmly and chewed for a long time by babies. It slowly becomes softer as they chew and lick it.
18. Have you got a food license in your country and in other countries?
Yes we have in India from our state of Telangana. It is printed on our packs.
The importers in other countries must take license if they import our cutlery and it is their responsibility as the rules of each country differ.
We do have tariff order and have been granted 4 star category in Australia for our product in 2016.
19. Do you have gluten free certificate
No, none so far but those who need it in their respective countries can get from their respective authorities by getting our spoons tested as per local standards and requirements.
We plan to apply for all these shortly.
However Sorghum our main ingredient is totally gluten free
20. What is your production capacity?
Our capacity is close to 35000 spoons per day as on 31 Dec 2016.
21. Have you exported to other countries?
Yes samples have gone to Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Estonia, Germany, Hong Kong, USA, UK, UAE.
22. When did you start commercial production? Where in India did you sell the spoons?
With the present shape we started in end of 2014 and used to sell in local organic markets and organic shops.
We also supplied to some hospitals, educational institutions, corporate and multinational companies and many individual buyers.
23. How was the feedback on your products?
It is liked by all those who bought it so far. Many are seeking various shapes of cutlery and more taste variations too but it will take a while for us to supply that quantity and tastes
24. Do you have/ intend o have dealers/ franchise/ multiple location production units/ collaborations/ partnership?
We are taking slow steps as we need to get perfection in our present system that is custom designed and it will take time to systematize all functions, processes and infrastructure issues. We may consider some of these options from Mid 2016.
We do welcome inquires on email@example.com so that we can connect with the interested parties once we are ready for it.
25. Do you have a patent?
Yes we applied for a patent and it is due any time..
26. Is yours a zero wastes product/ process?
Yes indeed it is and we plan to recycle all that may be half baked/ cracked/ broken during production to be back into production.
27. What is your staff strength?
We are now total 30 men and women. We operate 24×7.
28. Will you make other shapes like forks, soup spoons, knives, straws, small spoons, plates, glasses, cups and serving utensils?
Yes but gradually and not plates, knife and big serving bowls as they have proved unpractical in R & D.